gavincreel.com

gavincreel.com

Sunday, November 14, 2010

JIM AND NANCY DAY!

it's parent appreciation day for gavin.

i just love my mom and dad.  i was talking about them last night with some new friends (who took me to an amazing restaurant called QUALITY MEATS ...go!) and while we were at dinner, besides the tirade i went into about the current state of affairs with the gay rights movement in our country, we talked for a while about families and parents....i just got to really thinking about my mom and dad and ....how great they are.

we have been growing as people our whole lives, but as adults, my parents and i have become so much closer.  i think about that and wonder WHY that is....i always figured as you get older, you grow farther apart.  i mean, i live in new york city and they are all the way down there in north carolina.  we don't see each other in person as often as we would like, and besides the occasional phone call/checkin/MAYBE skype session, our connection is more of a spiritual one most of the time.  they have a ton of activities they are a part of down in their community, i'm racing around doing whatever nonsense it is that i'm doing, and well...we're just getting older and doing it mostly apart.  so why?  why do i feel like i am actually getting closer to them as i age?

i think...it is a) because i'm just older.  i know this isn't profound in the slightest, but hear me out.  i have always been a pretty strong willed person and growing up passionate and strong willed....manifested in me (and i think manifests in a lot of people) in a little snotty know-it-all naivete, that...was/is probably pretty annoying.  as i get older, i'm really trying to shed that and realize how little i know and how much i need to obverve, ask questions, just be.  my parents have been living in that example for their adult lives.  and they have been patient enough with me to let me be crazy and young and think i know what i am doing...and just let me grow.

b)  they also haven't STOPPED.  not only physically (they rock that schwinn airdine exercise bike ...you know the one, with the big fan for a wheel....THIS ONE!)  and, like i said, they are constantly planning gatherings, running commitees, working in their church...they just don't stop) but beyond just the running around and keeping busy, they haven't stopped growing emotionally.  i think it is probably pretty easy as one gets older to just think "OKAY!  i know what this is....i'm done. i know who i am and i'm not changing now"  i think my grandfathers did that a bit.  and in all fairness it was a mans world then.  an america made for that person:  a straight middle class white male.  (sadly, i don't think that phase is completely over yet...)  but whatever.

but MY PARENTS i am proud to say, continue to evolve and learn and open their minds and hearts. and the thing that i think brings this most to mind....and what i realize is probably the biggest reason i feel closer to my parents now more than ever is....

c)  i am out to them.

they know every part of my heart.  they know i am a gay man.  they know i walk through this world as a homosexual.  and they know....that that word is not a bad word.  even my typing it now....still sets something off in me that makes me nervous.  homosexual.  homosexual.  homosexual.  isn't that crazy?  i am out of the closet, and know myself completely, and i still have a bizarre reaction to the word.  i can only imagine the process my mother and father have had to go through (and CONTINUE to go through) to be able to say or hear that word....and know that their son is one.

and then....to be PROUD of me for it and to realize, as they near 70 (sorry mom and dad :) hee hee
but as they near that new decade which most of the world probably thinks means someone of that age is slowing down, or close minded.....

my parents are actually raring up for the next phase and opening their hearts to learning and living more, and they are fighting with me and standing up for equality....and most importantly....LOVING ME for exactly who i am.  exactly who god made me to be.  and for that, i am so grateful.

i'll leave you with one neat story i remembered the other day.

when i came out to my parents in 2002, i did it at the beginning of the week i was home so that i could have the whole rest of the time to deal with any fallout (i was beyond nervous and didn't know what was going to happen)   without going into it, it all went fine (it was TOUGH! but fine) well, on the second or third day after i told them, i was in the kitchen with my mom and we were making lunch and i decided to step back into the conversation a little and see how she was doing.  now, i should preface this by saying, up to THIS point in our lives together, my parents and i really didn't talk about our feelings much at all.  our relationship was loving, but we didn't really go THERE ever (we do much more now....thank god for that)

but i just asked my mom, while i was making the potato salad.... "so mom....how you doing?"

"with what?" she said.

"oh....you know....what we talked about....with what i told you about me..."

and she said.... " well.....(silence) ....it's hard. (silence).... i just....."

then there was a more silence

and then she said, "well gavin....it's going to take me some time.  i just hope you don't go marching in any parades or anything."

it made me laugh, and at the time, i was not intending anything of the sort.  i was pretty private and at the VERY start of my acceptance of myself and my sexuality.

but....i will have you know, that 7 years later, my mother and father were marching in a parade WITH ME in the National Equality March on DC....through the streets of our nations capitol, wearing BroadwayImpact t-shirts, chanting and smiling and walking with pride for their OUT HOMOSEXUAL SON....for his rights.  for his future.

for OUR future.

i love you mom and dad.

peace

g

11 comments:

  1. i read that 3 times and each time cried and laughed a little harder. i love you. and i love that YOU love you. it is such an important characteristic.

    you should know that you are such an inspiration to me and i know to so many others. i am only 15 (as you know from singing happy birthday to me last monday <3) and you have inspired me to be a better person and to find myself. just like your parents taught you, you are teaching me to be open to learning new things about the world and especially about myself.

    in honor of celebrating this new and wonderful holiday Nancy and Jim Day, i would like to thank them for blessing the world with such a beautiful and inspiring child. may he be homosexual. bless them for being so accepting.

    -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading that. I think it's so interesting to see how we all love our parents in different ways and for different reasons. It's almost a matter of course that we love our parents, something that we grow up with and don't really question…because they are our parents! It's only when you get older that you start to realise what it is in them and about them that makes you love them as people. Obviously parents are people, but I feel that with a lot of family, we define our relationship via our DNA and not our shared beliefs, values, ideals, etc. But, growing up, you learn to take a closer look at the relationships you have with the people around you. Unfortunately, sometimes this does not end well and you realise that this 'love' you're supposed to have for each other because you're related does not exist, really. But more often than not it makes you realise just how much admiration and respect you have for those around you. I loved my mum when I was a little girl, just because she was my mum. I love my mum now, because I see the strong, confident woman that she is and because (as a single, full-time working mum of three) she raised me to be open-minded, unafraid to be who I am, and so many other things. Thank you for sharing this about your parents and I send my love to them, because just the fact that you sat down to write this, because you feel so much love for them, shows that they must be quite simply amazing. As I was writing this my mum called. I like to think that she knew I was thinking of her...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Gavin. Your love for your parents is beautiful, and they and you are beautiful people. What I think I love most about this is how they are so involved with the Church, and also involved with Gay Rights. So many Christians discriminate against homosexuals, but the fact is, God made people gay just the same as He made people straight. Equality is what God wants, so it's what we should all fight for. You guys are a real inspiration to me, and to so many others.
    Happy Jim and Nancy Day <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful parents sound like my beautiful parents. I've only been out for a year and the growth the three of us have been through has been absolutely beautiful!

    I had a similar conversation when I first came out to my mom, and now I called her because I went to donate blood, and wasn't aware homosexuals aren't allowed to. I was upset and embarrassed, I wished someone had told me before I tried in front of every one, So I called her and this is what she said, "Damn It Dylan, you are who you are, you're blood is just better than theirs that's all"

    Now I know what she said isn't true. I'm NOT better, but from the first time I told her and she brushed it under the rug to saying something like that really filled my heart with even more love, which I didn't think was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how supportive your parents are, I love how much you appreciate them and have taken the time to acknowledge them. I love how everytime I read your blog, a tweet or hear your music, it makes me smile or feel inspired. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing it! It's love like this that we need more in the word. Your parents did (and are still doing) an amazing job! You are their result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim and Nancy look great! That was a well written inspirational account of how love conquers all. Keep up the good work Gavin! You and Broadway Impact have shown through courage, willingness and love that positive change can and will happen in hearts and minds all over! Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this, Gavin. Wonderful!

    I lost my father to a cancer battle just last month, and realized afterwards I had not only lost father, but friend as well. I grew up in "Evangelical Land," and when I came out in 1999 knew the risk was taking regarding relationships. As it turned out, I lost my faith community, but not my parents or my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a wonderful thing when you can trust that your parents will love you unconditionally no matter what. It's a nice sort of security to have.

    I love interacting with my parents as an adult and I think they love it too. I think they like the fact that I'm not dependent on them, that I have my own thoughts and opinions and know things that they don't. I also take great pleasure in being able to make them laugh, knowing them almost better than anyone else because I am part of them and they are part of me. And it doesn't matter that I only speak to them on the phone only once every couple of weeks and see them only once every couple of months, because I know that they are always there if I need them.

    Parents are superduper people. Well mine are anyway and clearly yours are too! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gavin - This is a really inspirational post for me to read. And I must say thank you, your story give me a lot of hope.

    I've been trying to come out to friends and family for a while and I just find it hard to get myself there, and I think the reason why I can't overcome that is because I can't expect my parent's reaction. I realize I'll have to give them time, and hope that in the end they just keep loving me as much as they do now. I'm hoping that on my upcoming trip home I can speak to them, and hopefully my coming out story will over all be a positive story like yours. Thanks Gavin! You have always been an inspiration for me. Best

    ReplyDelete