gavincreel.com

gavincreel.com

Monday, November 1, 2010

AN APPLE A DAY

i'm sitting in the basement of this building.  oh, the genius of the apple genius bar....

i constantly want to tout apple products, and say how great this company is.  i am an apple convert and have an apple macbook pro, an iphone, and even a mobileMe account.  basically, i am dripping in apple.

but when that technology breaks down, and everything i have is kept within one fabulous company....things get a bit more complicated...and a little less fabulous.  i've always thought that the appleCare protection plan i bought would get me an appointment at the genius bar to fix my every woe in a simple and effortless manner.   this is partially true and part foolish dreaming.

i am about to send my computer off for a week to get the camera, dvd player, keyboard and mouse working again (none of them wor now....so basically i have a very expensive paperweight in the shape of a laptop)  but on this day, my iPhone has also decided to stop working ...so i have no link to the internet, the outside world, communication in general, and...really....'life'  (full well knowing, this break will probably be beautiful)

i guess the thing i want to warn anyone out there with an apple product, that while the applecare protection is necessary (i just saved 310 bucks today...so it basically paid for itself) the appointments at the genius bar are not what you think.  you may have to sign up for a meeting time days in advance, because you can rarely just walk in and sidle up to the bar to get something fixed, and even if you have scheduled up... you should know that they only work in 15 minute time slots.

i had a guy in charlotte at the southpark mall give me so much attitude about this due to the fact that my issue at the time was taking more time than his allotted 15 minutes.  i didn't realize that when i bought the insurance, it was only in quarter hour increments.  now, granted, he did stay with me until the issue was 'resolved' (obviously not totally because i'm back again)  but man...the attitude that dude dished out...wow.  i don't judge the company on his behavior, but man....he needs a beer or an adjustment.  dickHEAD!

my experience today, while still under that same gun, is much more pleasant (who knew??  in new york city!)  and they are going to fix my sh*t UP...but, i just thought i would let you know, while i  'kill time' at the (beautiful new) apple store, that the genius bar isn't everything i once thought it was.  (maybe i was foolish...but something about that long pine table and all those sexy silver machines with those tough looking, custom/border patrol-esque, attitude-laden computer nerds...note: i love nerds...i am one and i thought the SOCIAL NETWORK was awesome...but i guess i just thought it would be able to solve my every worry with an effortless, caring and easy way)

that's what i get for having expectations.

turns out....apple, is just human beings, running a company.

ah well

peace

g

3 comments:

  1. I made my first visit to the Sydney Apple store last week where I was very confused. I could see what I wanted, but damned if I could figure out how to buy it, everything is chained down. Eventually caught the eye of a gentleman called Paul, who while helpful, kind of mocked my choice, saying "its very rare I have to go out the back to get an ipod classic these days". It was like the time about 5 years ago, before Ipods were really big in Australia, that a Virgin Blue air hostie mocked me for still having a (beloved) Discman. It saddens me because I know I'm a nerd at heart, I would just rather buy the Battlestar Galactica DVD box set than an Iphone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big Apple fan and have been to the genius bar a few times and not only is it always possible to get an appointment if not the day of, then the next day, but they've always been very helpful and I had no idea until you just said that that they have time allotments. That's pretty stupid. Why would the "genius" care anyway? Does their pay get docked or something? One of the great things about Apple is their customer service, you'd think the 15 minute thing would be a goal, not a rule.

    How dumb.

    The Salt Lake City store rocks.

    ReplyDelete