gavincreel.com

gavincreel.com

Saturday, January 22, 2011

HELLO AGAIN, MIAMI


about 12 years ago i visited miami for the first time.  i was on the FAME tour through north america and i was 22 years old.  we had been on tour for about 6 months at that point, i think, and the week before, the tour docked in naples.  my grandparents were still living then so i was able to spend an amazing week with my sister allyson and my goo and gramps.  it was truly incredible.  then allyson and i rented a convertible and drove across the everglades to miami when the tour moved.  

at the time i didn't really know what to make of it.  i was fresh out of college at that point, i hadn't really lived in new york yet, and i was still....SO young.  so, big cities and wild life, were still intimidating to me. i remember spending a lot of time by the pool at the hotel, seeing the beach  a bit and walking around the shops and other areas.  but i didn't REALLY get into the vibe of miami properly.  

i'm back here again as a guest of barton g (staying at his incredible VILLA by Barton G - the old versace mansion) and it is truly one of the most incredible places i have ever seen.  i'm doing a couple concerts at his space Prelude by Barton G, and, this time around, miami is looking so different.  so much more manageable.  

i get hard on myself and i guess on other people for not being able to adjust or be ready for something...someone...maybe even a city....and this lesson comes to me today, in fabulous south beach....we can only be where we are, when we are.  sure, i wish i could have been a little less fearful or a little more courageous when i was in miami at 22.  it certainly feels like a city that would LOVE a wild and daring 22 year old :)  but, i'm here now, and i am enjoying myself and life is still chugging along.  so...i'll do that dead poet's stuff and seize the carpe diem lalalala.  i will also forgive myself for being tough and me, and ask the forgiveness of those who i may have not been patient with along the way.  be where you are....

i'm heading out for the day, gymmin it, juicing it, then after a quick song for a friend, i'll hit the beach.  after that, dinner at the villa (holy balls, if you are anywhere near miami....COME TO THE VILLA FOR DINNER.  it's pricey, but i would have paid triple for those flavours.  the chef is a genius)  after dinner we'll head over to do our last concert, and then....my inner 22 year old is coming out and the whole gang is going to a dance club and cutting a rug.

gotta live baby!

peace

g

1 comment:

  1. Gavin,

    I was there that 2nd night (I spoke to you after the show, I know Amanda and am a student at DePaul with Ernie) and I just can't stop thinking about the show. I've been waiting to see you for YEARS and this show was magical. I'm so familiar with your music, which I love, but it was great to see you do things that I never thought you would sing. My mom cried when you sang Billy Joel (her favorite song) and she didn't have any idea what she was walking into on Saturday. So thank you for that.

    Also, I didn't get a chance to tell you, I saw you in HAIR and it was the most amazing theatre experience I've ever had (and that means a lot coming from someone who has seen a lot of Broadway shows and great Chicago theatre in the past 3 years). That was exactly what theatre should be, for the audience, and through my education I just keep going back to that and remember that that is why I am doing this. To create experiences like that for other people. So thank you. Seriously, thank you!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete