gavincreel.com

gavincreel.com

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LONDON MUSINGS

so i'm back in london town.  it truly feels so good. man i just love this place.  have you ever been here?  if you haven't, you have to come.  seriously.  i think a lot of people make a mistake of treating london like a stopping point on the way to other european cities, but there is just so much culture and history and beauty to get lost in right here, that ...well....just come and see for yourself.

i've been walking around in a sort of creative bubble too.  something so nice about not having a show to take my attention or time (or joint fluid) and just sit in whatever space i'm in, and see what comes up.  sometimes....it's just stillness.  sometime it's fear.  but most times, it's an energy that makes me shake my arms.

i used to do this before my swimming races as a kid and, i don't know why, but it immediately invigorates me.  i just walk around, and shake 'em.  i do.  i look like a total crazy person, but i don't care.  people sometimes ask me, 'are you cold' because it looks like a shivering.  and i just reply, 'no, i'm just weird.  peaceout'

well, i'm wandering around london, shaking away.  all the while, i'm in contact with my kick ass manager patrick, who is rocking my world, putting together a lot of amazing surprises for you all in the coming months.  thinking of lyrics, humming new tunes, dreaming about life and the witnessing of deeper, truer things.  it is all new and old and mine and ours.

the flat that i'm staying in smells of rose.  the furnishings are shabby chic and incredibly beautiful.  the cat that lives here is like a dog.  the seats on the tube are carpeted.  i need to buy soap.  i have two scabs on my left hand and i don't know how they got there.  i finally found a good mexican restaurant in london.  i switched to deodorant only, but i can't tell if i smell.  life is funny.  i think i like it today.

peace

g

10 comments:

  1. London is gorgeous! I'm a little jealous; I'd love to spend more time there.

    Top Five Thing I like to do when in London:
    1) Visit Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and dream a little.
    2) Have lunch at the Tate Modern top floor restaurant. The view across the Thames and St Paul's is great. And the food is good too.
    3) Stroll through the National Portrait Gallery and always find an interesting face I hadn't noticed before. Makes you wonder about the lives of the people in the paintings.
    4) Tea at Camellia's World Teas in Kingly Court. Awesome selection of teas and a cozy atmosphere.
    5) Camden Market. Though it's touristy and packed there's always something to be discovered.

    There is so much more though and I never cease to find new things and parts of town that I haven't seen.

    Have a great time there. Looking forward to your gig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. London is an amazing city! I live in Belgium and I try to go there 3 times a year for theatre, shopping and culture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love London too! I've been lucky enough to visit a number of times and have had a great time with every visit.
    P.S. - HOW did I not know this blog existed?!?! Thank goodness facebook showed me the light. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday...never been there but I will. I so want to go to see the art work. Love museums and theater. I also watched Titanic...funny because I am directing that at the middle school where I have a drama club. A watered down version but the meaning, the dates and the passengers names will be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Gavin, Welcome back to the UK, we've missed you! I really respect and admire you, so it's a real pleasure to read your take on London, as somebody who has lived just outside the city all of her life, I think I take it for granted - so, reading all of the good things you have to say makes me feel lucky and proud to live so close to such a great city. It's brilliant to know you are here once again! I'm really looking forward to your concert at the Jazz Cafe, counting down the days already! When it's not pouring it down, I think London is at it's absolute best in the Autumn (or Fall as you say!). See you soon :) P.S. Where is this good Mexican restaurant in London? I'd love to know... xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been to London yet, but I'm studying abroad at the University of Winchester! So excited to be close to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gavin - It's Jenny Burleson from UofM. I'm living here in London now...still looking for a good Mexican Restaurant. I'd love to meet you for coffee or tea if you've got the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have a few days free and fancy an adventure, pop along to Bristol (my lovely home city), Warwick or Stratford-upon-Avon - all are wonderful places to visit, full of history and beautiful things!

    PS. These would also be excellent places to come and sing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gavin!!
    I am a gigantic fan of yours, and I really love all the work you do with Broadway Impact fighting for equality. I was just wondering, is there a place I can find guitar chords for the songs on "Quiet"? I'm particularly interested in "Anything At All" and "Hot Ohio", but any of them would be great!! You are amazing!
    Peace and love,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gavin!
    Huge fan.
    Hugest fan, actually. I love all the work you do for equality and I just think you are an amazing person. Keep doing what you are doing please. It helps so many people. You are my hero. :)

    Lovely blog. I, in fact, have not been to london. For I am only a 15 year old boy in the deep suburbs of Southern Ontario, Canada. It is a dream though, to perform on West End. London does seem like such a marvelous place to spend time in. Glad you are having such a great trip! I hope you keep posting! I love reading what you have to say :D

    From,
    Joel :)

    ReplyDelete